So you want to build your dream home. Great choice! Custom home building in Toronto means a space designed for your own needs and tastes. But where should you start?
Start by gathering as much information as you can. Here are some simple steps to follow:
• Start by dreaming. Imagine your perfect home and what it entails. Go to open houses. Make lists of what you like and what you don’t like.
• Prioritize. What are your basic needs? How many bedrooms? Do you need a home office? Make sure you plan for the future.
• Know your budget and understand your financial limits.
• Be aware of zoning by-laws, building codes, the permit process and warranties.
• Interview several potential design and building companies. Ask questions. Make sure you are on the same page.
Building a custom home in Toronto can be a dream come true, but be sure to gather as much information as you can before you start.
When looking for companies that do
custom home building in Toronto, do some research before hiring.
- Look for builders with the three R’s: recommendations,
references and reputation.
- Consider a company that both designs and builds
houses, with architects, engineers, interior designers, landscape consultants
and skilled tradesmen on staff. This can make the design-through-building
stages more fluid.
- Find out what kind of warranty they offer. They
should offer a multi-year Tarion warranty. Tarion administers the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act, which regulates
registered builders. Beware of hiring general contractors: most are not members
of Tarion and are not required to be regulated in any way.
- Are they fully transparent in the way of
pricing? If they get a discount on building materials, is that discount passed
on to the customer?
Make sure you get thoughtful answers.
Communication is the key to a successful custom home building experience in